with Bob Schultz
Get yourself in prime pitching position with this essential one day Masterclass with founder of LA’s Scriptfest and LSF Pitching guru, Bob Schultz.
Spend a full day developing the skills you need to pitch your project to producers, agents, actors, and more. With a focus on general pitching and networking skills in the morning and a full afternoon applying those strategies and techniques to your project, you will finish the day ready to convince anybody to say “send it over.”
This one off Masterclass is guaranteed to make all the difference when you sit down to pitch your projects at LSF (or anywhere else for that matter). Make sure you walk into the room a lean, mean, pitching machine and make it a game changing LSF you’ll never forget.
When: Saturday 5th August 2017
Where: Ealing Studios, Ealing W5 5EP
This full day of Pitch Development will include:
- CULTIVATING YOUR SKILLS: Pitching isn’t about memorizing a monologue, it’s a combination of knowledge, confidence, energy, and professionalism. Let’s get you out of your writerly solitude and into the business of networking!
- FINDING YOUR STORY: Distill your 100 page screenplay into one concise sentence, easy for anybody to grasp in a meeting, in a pub, or on the phone!
- PITCHING YOURSELF: Production can be a long, stressful endeavor. It is critical to be a team player. What is expected of you, beyond writing a quality script?
- DEVELOPING YOUR LOGLINE: Every writer hates them, every producer wants them. What belongs in (and out of) this critical sales tool?
- UNEARTHING THE PITCH IN ANY PROJECT: Identify the exciting details of an existing project and pitch it right there on the spot. Pitching someone else’s project requires the same skills as pitching your own. The only difference is, yours hasn’t been produced yet.
- CREATING IT: Apply your newly-perfected skills to your specific project, and create your iron-clad pitch.
- DRILLING IT: In our boot camp environment, perfect your pitch with your fellow writers through repetition and critique.
- HUSTLING IT: learn and develop the strategies necessary to get pitch meetings — and build your professional network — with the producers, agents, actors, managers, and directors who will hear your pitch. Every pitch is a conversation. You are learning what to say… here’s how to find the right professionals to LISTEN!
‘Bob can fix holes in your logline before you’ve even had time to blink’.
Lynda Kennedy, Screenwriter
It’s time to take control of your career and get those scripts off your hard drive and into the pipeline.
Consider, the only thing standing in your way may just be your ability to both network and pitch effectively.
And yes we get it, none of us love either pitching or networking, but they are required skills for professional creatives.
- 10:00am – 11:30am: The Building Blocks of Pitching
Knowledge of Structure, Character Arcs, and Theme… OF A PITCH (not just your screenplay). How you can build confidence, maintain energy and optimism even when it’s not going as well as you hoped. And most importantly, How to pitch yourself.
- 11:30am – 12:00pm: Networking Break
Not just a coffee break but an exercise to get to know three new people in the room by effectively pitching yourself. Don’t worry, it’s fun!
- 12:00pm – 1:30pm: Distillation Of A Story
Study the best and see how they pitch for success. Then flex the muscles in an intensive ‘on the spot’ idea generation and pitch exercise that will reveal your innate ability to pitch powerful stories with simplicity and urgency.
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm: Lunch.
- 2:30pm – 4:00pm: Pitching Toolkit
What is your story? What is your logline? Who are you? Who do I pitch to? How do I find them? Build on the foundations of who you really are and what you are passionate about to reveal both the killer story AND the confident pitcher. Learn the tools, the tips, the tricks and the strategies for effective pitching.
- 4:00pm – 4:30pm: Break and Pitching Practice.
Again, why just have coffee when you can pitch to your peers and get feedback.
- 4:30pm – 6:00pm: Pitch Perfect
Comfort through repetition. Improvement through providing and receiving critique. Pitch to exhaustion, and push through!
- 6:00pm Drinks and networking at the pub
‘The Pitching session with Bob was tremendously helpful and I don’t think that my pitches would have been half as successful without his help and advice’.
Josh Shevill, Screenwriter
Your Outcome: To know how to refine your ideas into a pitch that gets ANYONE to lean into the conversation and create a desire in them to want more. Do this an confidence and success become inevitable.
Your Tutor: Bob Schultz has been the President of ScriptFest & the Great American Pitchfest (GAPF) for a decade, helping to develop a community of screenwriters and make the GAPF the #1 rated PitchFest and screenwriting conference in the world. Bob has written two movies, and produced four. When he is not engaged in screenwriting conferences in Los Angeles, Canada, and London, he is writing, producing, and teaching at colleges and events around the world.
‘Bob’s insights and enthusiasm simply make everything better’.
David Marantz, Screenwriter
‘I’ve read loads about the ‘nuts and bolts’ of writing a log-line before but this was the first time I actually felt that I ‘got it’. Brilliant value, he also fixed the log-line for my current script and that was worth the admission price alone’.
Gary Colman, Screenwriter
‘Bob is very generous, passionate and really knows his stuff!’
Sophie Gueydon, Screenwriter
‘I Went into the class fearful of having to put on a performance of some kind but Bob walked us through the various stages of preparing a pitch and then practising the delivery in a way that was both natural and comfortable’.
Humayun Mirza, Screenwriter
‘I learnt a lot: how the mind of an exec. producer works, how to keep up to date in the industry, how to network, what to expect on a pitching session, and most importantly, fine tuning your logline. I think this course is a must for any aspiring screenwriter, and it’s a lot of good information for an affordable price’.
Simon Branco, Screenwriter
When: Saturday 5th August 2017
Where: Ealing Studios, Ealing W5 5EP
Refunds: If you need to cancel your ticket purchase you can get a full refund up until 30 days prior to the event. After that we cannot offer refunds. Refunds will be paid back promptly although there will be a 10% admin fee deducted. Alternatively, tickets are transferable to other people if you can find someone to replace you. We are happy to change the name on the ticket. Please allow 48 hours for this change to take place. We reserve the right to decline admission and offer a full refund at our discretion. We reserve the right to change the venue. We reserve the right to cancel the event and offer a full refund.
Appearing in this session
Credits include: Great American Pitchfest
Additional Courses, Workshops and Masterclasses
Join us as we welcome Dangerous Liaisons and Atonement Screenwriter Christopher Hampton into the London Screenwriters Festival family for a very special afternoon (or as we like to call it – ‘Pimms O’clock’) Breakfast Club.
Celebrate with us at the London premiere of ‘Seeing Him’ followed by a cast and crew Q&A and exclusive after party.
Talent is great but relationships get you hired. The ability to create powerful new relationships in any given situation is one of the primary factors in the success of your career and that of any screenplay that you write. A one day masterclass.
Give yourself a better chance of getting your film made, picked up and seen in this OUTSTANDING one day workshop with Producer and Screenwriter Samantha Horley.
Don’t fall at the first hurdle. Prepare for an extraordinary PitchFest at the LSF by joining Hollywood pitch guru Pilar Alessandra who will transform you pitch so you can present professionally and with confidence.
With over 1,000 attendees, 100 sessions, 150 industry expert speakers and the biggest names in film and TV (from both the UK and Hollywood), LondonSWF has become the premiere screenwriting event to attend.
The Screenwriters’ Craft Crash is a must for any writer who needs to get laser focus on their actual pages and elevate it from ‘good’ to ‘recommend’. Bring your laptops, pens, highlighters, print-outs and game-faces! Expect to write and rewrite.
An intensive two-day workshop that breaks down the art and craft of reading scripts to help improve your own writing, to also improve your feedback for other writers and most importantly, to earn you money as a professional reader.
In this two day practical masterclass with Pilar Alessandra, we will show you how to deconstruct your ideas and then rebuild them into marketable projects that commissioners will be clamouring to read.